Friday 18 February 2011

Desert Island Discs

Hello All.

Basically i know they have something under this name on Radio one, but i have no idea how it operates, and because it's on the internet and according to recent Twitter scandles that any tweet is public information etc, i ought to say i am in no way affiliated with or working for or copying Radio One.

Except maybe copying.

Regardless, despite thinking about lots of things to write about Politics which may insight/inspire you, i haven't had the creative streak as of late to get them down into a blog. Instead i'm hoping to start perhaps an argument as to best ever band/artist, by publishing the 5 Bands i consider my personal Favourites.

1) Michael Jackson - I feel this a good place to start. Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps, but at the same time you'd be hard pressed to find someone who would turn down MJ tickets - when alive of course. Such a wide variety of music, which i suppose is the end result of being in the business for 40 odd years. Thus there is normally something to suit your mood, be it happy, sad, funky, depressed, wanting to save the world etc, etc: you need look no further than MJ. I ought to add as well, that many say Thriller was brilliant - i on the other hand am a huge fan of Off the Wall, a much better album IMO some genius stuff on there.

2) Stevie Wonder. Those who have known me for a long time may remember me suggesting that he is the greatest artist of all time. Perhaps i have matured enough now to realise no one can win that title, but still, he is up there. So much of his music is timeless, brilliant pieces which a never a chore to listen to - this point being very much a reason why he is such a good musician, it would never annoy me to listen to Stevie Wonder. Of course the fact he is blind gives the music that little bit something extra - somehow.

3) The Beatles. Perhaps an obvious choice, but at the same time not so. I know many of you may consider The Who, The Rolling Stones etc, etc to be better bands. However if someone says 'I dont like The Who' it might not invoke much of a reaction. When someone says 'I Don't like the Beatles' it seems that little bit more bizarre: "You dont like the Beatles?" Of course there is also the fact that they have a lot of content as well - i prefer the older stuff myself, there is genius to both the Blue and Red Album era's as i'll put it - i prefer the Blue Album.

4) Muse. Perhaps a surprising choice by contrast to the Beatles. I know many may respond with, well if you want that music who with Coldplay etc, etc. However a few years ago i got into Muse in attempts to bring my music taste not only inline with my then Girlfriend - but also my friends. Was not a bad experience, and in fact if ever i wanna rock out, have a bit of a mope or whatever you might do, i do it to Muse. Black holes and Revelations btw. *Sharp intake of breath*

5) This is a real difficult choice now - having covered many genres with my prior four choices. Part of me wants to break the trend and just say an Album (Pulp Fiction Soundtrack). However, i'm going to go with Moby. Again, not an obvious choice, but some of his music is pure class. Some truely wonderful music notably on the Play Album. If you dont know what im talking about, do search the album, not only will you recognise songs, but im sure come on board to what i'm saying.

Please comment with any responses you might in order to make me feel this last 20 minutes or so was a waste of time. Make me feel like i have a worth.


5 comments: